Caribbean Stewed Beef with Kidney Beans
- 1 lb stewing beef cut each chunk of meat into smaller pieces (quarters)
- 1 large tomato diced
- 1 small onion diced
- 1 medium green pepper diced
- 1/2 bunch green onions sliced
- 6 - 8 cloves garlic minced
- whole hot peppers OR cayenne optional, to taste -
- 1 tbsp seasoned salt
- 1 - 2 tbsp paprika
- 1 - 2 tbsp thyme
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1 - 2 tbsp ketchup
- 1 - 2 potatoes peeled & diced
- 1 - 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 1 can kidney beans drained & rinsed; size of can is based on how much you like kidney beans
- 2 cups uncooked rice
- In a large bowl, rinse the beef with water and a little vinegar. Drain well.
- Add the next 10 ingredients (to black pepper). Caribbean food is very flavourful, and most cooks don't measure, so amounts are approximate. Basically, add seasonings until you think it's too much, then add more (be careful with the salt, though). You'll know you have it right when the seasonings smell delicious and you can't smell the raw meat. Add ketchup and mix. Allow meat to marinate in the fridge for several hours to overnight.
- When ready to cook, take the meat out of the mixture and put it in a separate smaller bowl. Heat a large, heavy pot on high heat. Add the oil. When oil is hot, add the sugar. Allow sugar to brown to a dark caramel colour. Watch carefully so it doesn't burn.
- Add beef, stirring occasionally, until browned on all sides. Once beef is browned, reduce heat to medium-high and add the vegetables and seasonings from the larger bowl. Cook until onions are clear.
- Add potatoes and water to cover. Reduce heat to medium. Cook, covered, for 30 - 45 minutes or until meat is tender. Stir occasionally and add water if necessary. Taste gravy once meat is no longer raw and add more seasonings to taste. Add kidney beans about 15 minutes before cooking time is finished.
- While stew is cooking, rinse and cook rice. Serve stew over rice.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!