Cozy Autumn Wild Rice Soup
- 6 cups vegetable stock
- 1 cup wild rice uncooked
- 8 oz baby bella mushrooms sliced
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 2 medium carrots diced
- 2 ribs celery diced
- 1 lb sweet potatoe peeled and diced
- 1 small white onion peeled and diced
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 1/2 tbsp Old Bay seasoning
- 3 tbsp butter
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 2 handfuls kale roughly chopped with thick stems removed
- Combine vegetable stock, wild rice, mushrooms, garlic, carrots, celery, sweet potato, onion, bay leaf and Old Bay seasoning in the bowl of an Instant Pot pressure cooker. Stir briefly to combine.
- Cover and set vent to “sealing”. Cook on manual (high pressure) for 25 minutes. Let the Instant Pot rest there for an extra 10 minutes (natural release). Then carefully turn the vent to “venting” and release the remaining pressure (quick release). Remove lid and discard the bay leaf.
- Meanwhile, during those final 10 minutes of pressure cooking, prepare your cream sauce on the stove. In a medium saucepan, cook the butter over medium-high heat until melted. Whisk in the flour until combined, and cook for 1 minute. Gradually add in the milk, and whisk until combined. Continue cooking, stirring frequently, until the mixture nearly comes to a simmer and has thickened. (It should be very thick.)
- Add the cream sauce and kale to the soup, and stir gently until combined. Taste and season with salt and pepper (plus any extra Old Bay seasoning, if you would like) as needed.
- Serve warm. Or transfer to sealed container(s) and refrigerate for up to 4 days.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!