Asian Kale and Shrimp Stew
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 pound peeled and deveined shrimp
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 medium lemons juiced, divided
- 4 cups chopped kale
- 2 cups cubed sweet potato
- 1 1/2 cups canned diced tomatoes
- 1/2 cup chopped green onions
- 1/2 cup chopped cilantro
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 quart low sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 cup unsweetened canned coconut milk
- In a large pot over medium-high heat, heat coconut oil. To the skillet, add onion, garlic and shrimp and cook until onion has softened and shrimp are opaque. Season the shrimp with the next 3 ingredients (salt and pepper through cumin). Pour half of the lemon juice over the shrimp mixture. Add the kale through the onion powder. Stir to combine and cook until the kale is wilted.
- Stir in the chicken broth and bring to a simmer. Cook for 15 minutes and then stir in the coconut milk and remaining lemon juice and serve.
SERVING SUGGESTION: Leafy green salad with Leanne’s Basic Vinaigrette.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!