southwestern Chicken with Black Bean Salsa
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/3 cup low sodium chicken broth
- 1/3 cup lime juice
- 3 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 3 cloves garlic pressed
- 6 boneless skinless chicken breast halves 6-oz.
- 1 cup of salsa
- 15 ounces black beans drained and rinsed or
- 1 cup chopped red onion
- 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro
- low fat sour cream for optional garnish
- shredded low fat Pepper Jack cheese for optional garnish
- diced avocado for optional garnish
- DO-AHEAD TIP: Marinate chicken for 30 minutes (see recipe).
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the first 6 ingredients (olive oil through garlic); transfer to a large zipper-topped plastic bag. Add chicken, seal bag and shake well to coat; refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, place salsa, black beans, onion and cilantro in a saucepan over medium heat; cook and stir until heated through and onion becomes soft, 5 to 7 minutes.
- Preheat oven broiler. Remove chicken from marinade (discarding marinade) and place on a lightly oiled baking pan; broil for 7 minutes per side or until juices run clear.
- Serve chicken with black bean and onion salsa mixture and garnish with desired toppings.
SERVING SUGGESTION: Brown rice and a big salad. VEGETARIAN: Use non-breaded faux chicken patties and adjust marinating and cooking times as needed. KOSHER: Use soy yogurt and soy cheese to garnish or skip. GLUTEN-FREE: Make sure broth, salsa, and black beans are gluten-free. NUTRITION: Per serving: 331 Calories; 8g Fat; 45g Protein; 18g Carbohydrate; 6g Dietary Fiber; 99mg Cholesterol; 585mg Sodium. Exchanges: 1 Grain(Starch); 6 Lean Meat; 1 Vegetable; 0 Fruit; 1 Fat. Points: 8
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!