Lamb Meatball and Rutabaga Soup
- 1 pound ground lamb
- 3 cloves garlic pressed
- 1 tablespoon sea salt divided
- 2 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper divided
- 1 small red onion diced
- 1 egg
- 1/4 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 5 cups low sodium beef broth
- 2 large carrots chopped
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 1 medium stalk celery chopped
- 2 medium sweet potatoes peeled and cubed
- 1 medium rutabaga peeled and diced
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary crushed
- 1/4 teaspoon white pepper
- In a large bowl, combine ground lamb, garlic, 1 teaspoon of the salt, 1 a teaspoon of the pepper, the red onion, egg, and Worcestershire. Blend thoroughly with your very clean hands then place mixture in a large zipper-topped plastic bag. Seal bag and refrigerate.
- Place the next 6 ingredients (broth through rutabaga) along with remaining salt, remaining pepper, the thyme, rosemary, and white pepper in a large slow cooker.
- Cover and cook on LOW for 8 to 10 hours. 1 hour and 30 minutes before the soup is finished preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Pull lamb mixture from refrigerator and form into 1 1/2-inch meatball; place them on a baking sheet and bake for 15 to 20 minutes. Transfer meatballs to the soup in the slow cooker. Cover and cook for 1 hour.
SERVING SUGGESTION: A big spinach salad tossed with Leanne’s Basic Vinaigrette. NUTRITION: per serving: 535 Calories; 28g Fat; 37g Protein; 33g Carbohydrate; 6g Dietary Fiber; 136mg Cholesterol; 1593mg Sodium. Exchanges: 1 1/2 Grain(Starch); 4 1/2 Lean Meat; 2 Vegetable; 3 1/2 Fat; 0 Other Carbohydrates. Points: 14
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!