Slow Cooker Chicken and Vegetable Stew
- 1 1/2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breast meat
- 15 ounces kidney beans drained and rinsed or homemade
- 15 ounces black beans drained and rinsed or homemade
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup chopped green bell pepper
- 1 can tomato paste 6-oz.
- 2 cans crushed tomatoes 14.5-oz.
- 1 cup low sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 3 cloves garlic pressed
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Place all ingredients in a slow cooker; stir well to combine.
- Cover and cook on HIGH for 1 hour; stir. Cover and cook on LOW for 3 to 4 hours. Remove bay leaves then shred chicken with 2 forks; serve.
SERVING SUGGESTION: Serve chicken, beans, and juices over brown rice; add a big salad and some warmed, buttered corn muffins on the side. VEGETARIAN: To replace chicken, double your beans and use vegetable broth instead of chicken broth. KOSHER: No changes necessary. GLUTEN-FREE: Make sure beans, crushed tomatoes, tomato paste, and broth are gluten-free. NUTRITION: Per Serving: 227 Calories; 2g Fat; 26g Protein; 27g Carbohydrate; 8g Dietary Fiber; 44mg Cholesterol; 797mg Sodium. Exchanges: 1 Grain(Starch); 3 Lean Meat; 2 1/2 Vegetable; 0 Fat. Points: 5
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!