Slow Cooker Chicken Chili
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breast meat cubed
- 3 cloves garlic pressed
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon of sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped red onion
- 1 can diced tomatoes with green chilies 14.5-oz.
- 15 ounces dark red kidney beans drained and rinsed or homemade
- 8 ounces black beans drained and rinsed or homemade
- 1 cup diced green bell pepper
- 1 tablespoon diced jalapeño seeded if you want less heat
- 3/4 cup low sodium chicken broth
- 3 tablespoons flour optional
- 3 tablespoons water optional
- Place first 13 ingredients (chicken through broth) in a slow cooker; stir well to combine. Cover and cook on LOW for 5 hours or until chicken is cooked through.
- For a thicker chili, combine flour and water to a smooth paste (no lumps!) and stir mixture into slow cooker; raise slow cooker setting to HIGH and cook for an additional 15 minutes or until thickened.
- Serve immediately and enjoy!
SERVING SUGGESTION: Serve chili in bowls topped with a little shredded low fat Cheddar cheese, chopped red onion and chopped cilantro. Serve a big salad on the side and add some warm, buttered corn muffins. VEGETARIAN: Instead of chicken, add an additional 15 ounces of kidney beans. Use vegetable broth instead of chicken broth. KOSHER: No changes necessary. GLUTEN-FREE: Make sure canned tomatoes, beans, and broth are gluten-free. Use gluten-free flour if desired. NUTRITION: Per Serving: 209 Calories; 2g Fat; 26g Protein; 22g Carbohydrate; 8g Dietary Fiber; 44mg Cholesterol; 802mg Sodium. Exchanges: 1 Grain(Starch); 3 Lean Meat; 1 Vegetable; 0 Fat. Points: 5
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!