Slow Cooked Mediterranean Pork Stew
- Olive oil
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 3 cloves garlic pressed
- 1/2 cup chopped red bell pepper
- 21 ounces artichoke hearts in water drained
- 4 ounces whole black olives drained
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 1/2 pounds pork loin roast
- 2 cups low sodium vegetable broth
- 1/2 cup lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch optional
- 2 teaspoons water optional
- Place onion, garlic, bell pepper, artichoke hearts and olives in a slow a cooker that has been lightly coated with olive oil.
- In a small bowl, combine the next 6 ingredients (salt through oregano); blend well then rub mixture evenly
- into the roast and place it on top of veggies in the slow cooker. In a small bowl, whisk together broth and lemon juice; pour over roast. Cover and cook on LOW for 8 hours or until pork is fork-tender.
- Transfer pork to a cutting board, shred with 2 forks then return shredded pork to slow cooker and blend into juices.
- If you’d like to thicken the sauce, combine cornstarch and water in a cup and stir into the slow cooker juices; raise heat setting to HIGH and cook for 15 minutes or until thickened.
LC SERVING SUGGESTION: Serve over Cauli-Rice (see Day 4 directions); add stir-fried zucchini and yellow squash on the side. SERVING SUGGESTION: Serve over brown rice instead of Cauli-Rice. KOSHER: Instead of pork, use a turkey breast. GLUTEN-FREE: Make sure broth, artichoke hearts, and olives are gluten-free. Skip the optional cornstarch or use arrowroot starch. NUTRITION: per serving: 304 Calories; 9g Fat; 33g Protein; 26g Carbohydrate; 12g Dietary Fiber; 53mg Cholesterol; 928mg Sodium. Exchanges: 0 Grain(Starch); 3 1/2 Lean Meat; 3 1/2 Vegetable; 0 Fruit; 1/2 Fat. Points: 7
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!