Italian Turkey Casserole
- 1 1/2 pounds extra lean ground turkey
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 2 cloves garlic pressed
- 1 teaspoon of sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup chopped red bell pepper
- 8 ounces crushed tomatoes
- 1 can tomato sauce 8-oz.
- 1/3 cup chopped black olives
- Olive oil
- 1/2 cup low fat Ricotta cheese
- 2 cups shredded part-skim Mozzarella cheese divided
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large, deep skillet over medium-high heat, brown ground turkey until nearly half done. Reduce
- heat to medium; add next 7 ingredients (basil through bell pepper) and cook for 5 to 7 minutes or until
- vegetables are tender-crisp.
- Add tomatoes, tomato sauce and olives then pour half of the mixture into a lightly oiled 9- x 13-inch
- baking dish. Top evenly with the Ricotta cheese then with 1 cup of the Mozzarella.
- Pour remaining Italian turkey mixture over the cheese then top with remaining Mozzarella; bake for 15
- minutes or until cheese is brown and bubbly. Serve immediately.
SERVING SUGGESTION: A big salad of mixed baby greens, sliced red onion and avocado and halved cherry tomatoes tossed with red wine vinaigrette. VEGETARIAN: Eliminate the turkey and substitute kidney beans, cannellini beans, and black beans, preparing according to package directions. KOSHER: Use your favorite soy cheese and eliminate the Ricotta. GLUTEN-FREE: Make sure canned tomatoes, tomato sauce, and olives are gluten-free. NUTRITION: Per Serving: 308 Calories; 10g Fat; 42g Protein; 13g Carbohydrate; 3g Dietary Fiber; 91mg Cholesterol; 1053mg Sodium. Exchanges: 0 Grain(Starch); 4 1/2 Lean Meat; 1 1/2 Vegetable; 0 Fruit; 1/2 Fat. Points: 8
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!