Garlic and Herb Black Bean Burgers
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 cup minced onion
- 3 cloves garlic pressed
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 cup grated carrot
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 15 ounces black beans drained and rinsed or homemade
- 1 tablespoon whole grain mustard
- 1 tablespoon low sodium soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1/3 cup quick-cooking oats not instant oatmeal!
- 2 tablespoons water optional
- 6 whole wheat burger buns split and lightly
- Optional toppings:
- Romaine lettuce leaves
- Sliced tomato
- Sliced red onion
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Heat the oil in a medium skillet over medium heat. Add the onion, garlic, paprika, and carrot and
- sauté until onion is tender and fragrant and carrot has softened a little; transfer to a blender or food processor. A
- Add next 7 ingredients (chili powder through tomato paste); pulse until almost completely smooth, but still a tad chunky.
- Transfer to a large bowl and stir in oats (if the mixture is too thick to work with, add 1 to 2 tablespoons of water, as needed, but keep it thick enough to shape burgers). Form mixture into 6 burgers, pressing them flat to about 1 1/2 inches thick.
- Place burgers on a lightly oiled baking pan; bake for 10 minutes, turning halfway through baking time. When nicely brown (firm outside, tender inside), serve on burger buns and enjoy!
SERVING SUGGESTION: A big bowl of coleslaw (use a ready-made mix and toss with mayo and a little rice vinegar); add a bowl of raw baby carrots on the side. VEGETARIAN: No changes necessary. KOSHER: No changes necessary. GLUTEN-FREE: Make sure black beans, mustard(s), soy sauce, tomato paste, oats, ketchup (if using), and mayo (if using) are gluten-free. Use gluten-free burger buns. NUTRITION: Per serving: 254 Calories; 5g Fat; 11g Protein; 41g Carbohydrate; 8g Dietary Fiber; 0mg Cholesterol; 706mg Sodium. Exchanges: 2 1/2 Grain(Starch); 1/2 Lean Meat; 1 Vegetable; 1 Fat. Points: 6
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!