New England Corn Chowder
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter divided
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 2 cups peeled and cubed russet potatoes
- 1 cup chopped carrots
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1/4 teaspoon thyme
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1/8 teaspoon white pepper
- 1 can low sodium chicken broth 14.5-oz.
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 1/2 cups frozen whole kernel corn
- 1 cup chopped turkey ham optional
- 2 cups milk
- In a large saucepan, melt half of the butter over medium heat; add
- chopped onion and sauté till nearly translucent.
- Add potatoes and carrots and cook for another minute or so. Add remaining butter then stir in flour,
- seasonings, broth and water; cook and stir until mixture thickens and boils.
- Reduce heat and simmer for 5 to 10 minutes or until vegetables are tender-crisp, but not mushy. Add
- corn, turkey ham (if desired) and milk; cook until very hot—but not boiling, or the soup will break!
SERVING SUGGESTION: Serve a big spinach salad on the side; add some whole grain rolls and butter. VEGETARIAN: Skip the ham and use vegetable broth. KOSHER: Skip the ham and use vegetable broth. GLUTEN-FREE: Make sure ham (if using) and broth are gluten-free. Use gluten-free flour. NUTRITION: Per Serving: 207 Calories; 7g Fat; 9g Protein; 29g Carbohydrate; 3g Dietary Fiber; 21mg Cholesterol; 225mg Sodium. Exchanges: 1 1/2 Grain(Starch); 1/2 Lean Meat; 1/2 Vegetable; 1/2 Non- Fat Milk; 1 1/2 Fat. Points: 6
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!