Ham and Potato Casserole
- 4 cups diced cooked russet potatoes
- 2 cups diced lean ham cooked
- 2/3 cup chopped green bell pepper
- 1/3 cup chopped pimento
- Olive oil
- 1 1/2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 1/2 cups low fat milk
- 1 1/2 cups shredded low fat Cheddar cheese
- 3/4 teaspoon paprika
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- DO-AHEAD TIP: Peel and cook potatoes.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large bowl, combine first 4 ingredients (potatoes through pimiento); transfer to a baking dish that
- has been lightly coated with olive oil.
- Melt the butter in a saucepan over medium-low heat; add the flour and blend until smooth and
- bubbly. Gradually add the milk; cook, stirring constantly, until thickened.
- Stir in cheese and paprika. Season with salt and pepper then pour sauce over potato/ham mixture;
- bake for 35 to 45 minutes.
SERVING SUGGESTION: Serve braised kale and steamed baby carrots on the side. VEGETARIAN: Instead of the ham, use 30 ounces of your favorite beans (drained and rinsed or homemade). KOSHER: Instead of the ham, use 30 ounces of your favorite beans (drained and rinsed or homemade). GLUTEN FREE: Make sure ham and pimento are gluten-free. Use gluten-free flour. NUTRITION: Per Serving: 253 Calories; 8g Fat; 20g Protein; 25g Carbohydrate; 2g Dietary Fiber; 37mg Cholesterol; 884mg Sodium. Exchanges: 1 1/2 Grain(Starch); 2 Lean Meat; 0 Vegetable; 1/2 Non-Fat Milk; 1/2 Fat. Points: 6
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!