Eggplant a la Mushroom and Tomato Sauce
- 2 eggplants cut into 1/4-inch slices
- Olive oil
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 2 cloves garlic pressed
- 8 ounces mushrooms sliced
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper divided
- 1 can tomato sauce divided, 8-oz.
- 1 egg slightly beaten
- 3/4 cup shredded part-skim Mozzarella cheese
- Aluminum foil wrap
- 1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven broiler.
- Arrange eggplant slices on a baking sheet coated with a little olive oil; broil for 3 minutes per side or
- until lightly browned.
- Adjust oven to Bake at 375 degrees. Coat a large skillet with olive oil over medium-high heat; add
- onion, Italian seasoning, garlic and mushrooms and cook for 5 minutes or until tender and liquid has
- evaporated. Spread half of the mushroom mixture in a 2-quart baking dish coated with a little olive oil.
- Layer half of the eggplant slices over the mushroom mixture then sprinkle with half the pepper and top
- with 1/2 cup of tomato sauce. In a small bowl, combine beaten egg with 1/2 cup of Mozzarella; spread
- mixture on top of the tomato sauce then spread remaining mushroom mixture over the Mozzarella.
- Top with remaining eggplant slices, sprinkle with remaining pepper and top with remaining tomato
- sauce. Cover with aluminum foil wrap and bake for 1 hour.
- Remove from oven, uncover and sprinkle with remaining Mozzarella and the Parmesan. Bake,
- uncovered, for 5 minutes or until cheeses melt. Allow casserole to stand for 10 minutes before serving.
LC SERVING SUGGESTION: Serve a big spinach salad on the side. SERVING SUGGESTION: Add some garlic toast. KOSHER: No changes necessary. GLUTEN-FREE: Make sure tomato sauce and Italian seasoning are gluten-free. NUTRITION: per serving: 218 Calories; 8g Fat; 15g Protein; 26g Carbohydrate; 8g Dietary Fiber; 70mg Cholesterol; 607mg Sodium. Exchanges: 0 Grain(Starch); 1 1/2 Lean Meat; 4 1/2 Vegetable; 1/2 Fat. Points: 6
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!