- 2 large eggplants cut into 1/2-inch thick rounds, divided
- olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper divided
- 2 cups marinara sauce
- 8 ounces taco sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 4 ounces low fat cheddar cheese shredded, divided
- 4 ounces low fat Monterrey Jack cheese shredded, divided
- 1/3 cup chopped cilantro divided
- Aluminum foil wrap
- Preheat oven broiler.
- Place half the eggplant slices on a broiler pan rack coated with a little olive oil and sprinkle with half of the pepper. Broil 4 inches from heat source for 4 to 8 minutes per side or until lightly browned and tender. Repeat with remaining eggplant and black pepper. Reset oven to 350 degrees.
- In a medium bowl, combine marinara sauce, taco sauce and cumin. Spread 1/2 cup of sauce in a large baking dish and arrange half of the eggplant slices on top. Spread 1 1/4 cups sauce, half of each of the cheeses and 1/4 cup of chopped cilantro on top.
- Repeat layering with remaining eggplant, sauce and cheeses. Cover baking dish with aluminum foil wrap and bake for 40 minutes or until bubbly.
- Allow baked eggplant to rest for 10 minutes then sprinkle with remaining cilantro and serve.
SERVING SUGGESTION: A big salad and some warm, buttered corn muffins. VEGETARIAN: No changes necessary. KOSHER: No changes necessary. GLUTEN FREE: Make sure marinara sauce and taco sauce are gluten free. NUTRITION: Per Serving: 203 Calories; 7g Fat; 14g Protein; 24g Carbohydrate; 7g Dietary Fiber; 11mg Cholesterol; 869mg Sodium. Exchanges: 1 Grain(Starch); 1 1/2 Lean Meat; 2 Vegetable; 1/2 Fat. Points: 5
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!