Beef with Dumplings
- 1 1/4 pounds beef stew meat cubed
- 1/2 cup flour
- 5 tablespoons unsalted butter divided
- 2 medium onions sliced
- 4 cloves garlic pressed
- 1 1/3 cups water
- 1 cup low sodium beef broth
- 1/3 cup chopped parsley
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1 large bay leaf
- 6 medium russet potatoes peeled and cubed
- 4 large carrots peeled and sliced
- 4 medium stalks celery chopped
- 2 medium green bell peppers de-seeded, de-ribbed and chopped
- 2 cups sliced mushrooms
- 2 cups biscuit baking mix
- 3/4 cup skim milk
- In a large bowl, toss cubed beef with flour to coat.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of butter in a heavy skillet over medium-high heat; add coated beef cubes and brown well on all sides (don’t worry about cooking them through—you just want to brown the outsides); transfer to a slow cooker.
- In the same skillet, cook onion and garlic until onion is translucent; transfer mixture to the slow cooker; add water, broth, parsley, salt, pepper and bay leaf. Cover and cook on LOW for 2 hours.
- Add potatoes, carrots, celery and bell pepper; cover and cook for another 2 hours, adding more water if needed at this time. Remove bay leaf and add mushrooms; cover and continue to cook for 4 hours or until beef and vegetables are fork-tender.
- About 30 minutes before serving time, prepare dumplings: In a small bowl, combine biscuit mix, remaining butter and the milk just until blended.
- Drop the dough by the tablespoonful into the stew. Raise slow cooker heat setting to HIGH and cook for another 10 minutes or until dumplings are cooked through, but not dry.
SERVING SUGGESTION: Steamed baby Brussels sprouts tossed with a little butter and ground nutmeg. VEGETARIAN: Skip the beef and replace it with additional carrots, chopped turnips and 15 ounces of white beans (drained and rinsed or homemade). Use vegetable broth. KOSHER: Make sure beef is certified kosher. Skip the butter and use olive oil instead. Use water instead of milk to make dumplings. GLUTEN FREE: Make sure broth is gluten free. Use gluten free flour and biscuit mix. NUTRITION: Per Serving: 610 Calories; 30g Fat; 17g Protein; 70g Carbohydrate; 7g Dietary Fiber; 82mg Cholesterol; 1277mg Sodium. Exchanges: 4 Grain (Starch); 1 Lean Meat; 1 1/2 Vegetable; 0 Non-Fat Milk; 5 1/2 Fat. Points: 16
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!