- 1 1/2 cups dried baby Lima beans sorted, rinsed and soaked overnight
- 2 cans low sodium chicken broth 14.5-oz.
- 1 cup water
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small onion chopped
- 1 small red bell pepper de-seeded, de-ribbed and chopped
- 1 medium stalk celery chopped
- 4 green onions chopped
- 2 1/2 teaspoons dried thyme
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1 dash crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 can diced tomatoes drained, 14.5-oz.
- 10 ounces frozen whole kernel corn
- DO-AHEAD TIP: Sort, rinse, and soak beans overnight.
- Drain, rinse and drain sorted and soaked beans and place them in a slow cooker with the broth and water.
- Cover and cook on LOW for 8 to 10 hours or on HIGH for 5 to 7 hours. (NOTE: If beans take longer to cook, it could be because they are old.) Thirty minutes before serving, heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat; add onion, bell pepper and celery and sauté for 2 minutes; add green onions and sauté for 1 minute; add to bean mixture along with remaining ingredients (thyme through corn).
- Cover and cook on HIGH while you prepare the rest of the dinner.
SERVING SUGGESTION: A big salad and some crusty bread and butter. VEGETARIAN: Use vegetable broth instead of chicken broth. KOSHER: No changes necessary. GLUTEN-FREE: Make sure broth and tomatoes are gluten-free. NUTRITION: Per Serving: 268 Calories; 3g Fat; 18g Protein; 46g Carbohydrate; 11g Dietary Fiber; 0mg Cholesterol; 339mg Sodium. Exchanges: 2 1/2 Grain(Starch); 1 Lean Meat; 1 Vegetable; 1/2 Fat. Points: 7
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!