Flank Steak with Rich, Sweet Onion Gravy
- 1 pound beef flank steak trimmed
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 tablespoon olive oil divided
- 1 slices large Vidalia onion cut into 1/4-inch thick(or other sweet onion)
- 1 1/2 cups low sodium beef broth divided
- 1 tablespoon arrowroot starch
- Season flank steak on both sides with salt, pepper, and thyme.
- Heat half of the oil in a skillet with a tight-fitting lid over medium-high heat; add steak and brown for 5 to 6 minutes per side; remove from pan and keep warm.
- In the same skillet, heat remaining olive oil; add onion and cook until translucent.
- Add 1/3 of the broth then whisk up all of the browned bits from the bottom of the pan and simmer for 2 minutes.
- Place the steak right on top of the onions; cover and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Remove beef and onions from the skillet and keep warm.
- Raise skillet heat to medium and continue to cook the liquid remaining in the pan.
- In a small bowl, combine remaining beef broth with arrowroot starch; add to the skillet, stirring constantly until thickened.
- To serve, top steak portions with onions then ladle gravy on top.
LC SERVING SUGGESTION: Steamed baby Brussels sprouts and Faux-Tay-Toes (steam cauliflower till tender; drain; mash with butter, cream cheese and salt and pepper to taste until you get a mashed potatoes texture). SERVING SUGGESTION: Serve mashed russet potatoes instead of Faux-Tay-Toes. KOSHER: Make sure beef is certified kosher. GLUTEN FREE: Make sure broth is gluten free. NUTRITION: per serving: 277 Calories; 9g Fat; 41g Protein; 8g Carbohydrate; 1g Dietary Fiber; 84mg Cholesterol; 191mg Sodium. Exchanges: 0 Grain(Starch); 4 1/2 Lean Meat; 1 Vegetable; 1/2 Fat. Points: 7
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!