Beef and Butternut Squash Chili
- 1 pound 95% lean ground beef
- 3/4 cup chopped green bell pepper
- 3/4 cup chopped onion
- 2 cloves garlic pressed
- 2 cans Mexican-style stewed tomatoes chopped, 14.5-oz.
- 1 can chili beans 15-oz.
- 1 1/2 cups peeled and cubed a butternut squash
- 1 cup low sodium beef broth
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 1/2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 cup frozen whole kernel corn
- Place first 4 ingredients (ground beef through garlic) in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat; cook and stir until beef crumbles and is no longer pink; drain well.
- Stir in next 6 ingredients (tomatoes through chili powder). Bring mixture to a boil then reduce heat, cover and simmer for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in corn; cook, uncovered, for 15 minutes or until squash is tender and chili has thickened.
SERVING SUGGESTION: A relish tray of carrot and celery sticks, cherry tomatoes and whole black olives; add some warmed, buttered corn muffins. VEGETARIAN: Use TVP crumbles instead of ground beef and use vegetable broth instead of beef broth. KOSHER: Make sure beef is certified kosher. GLUTEN FREE: Make sure canned tomatoes, beans, and broth are gluten free. NUTRITION: Per serving: 360 Calories; 3g Fat; 16g Protein; 35g Carbohydrate; 8g Dietary Fiber; 21mg Cholesterol; 914mg Sodium. Exchanges: 1 1/2 Grain(Starch); 1/2 Lean Meat; 2 Vegetable; 0 Fat. Points: 5
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!