Saucy Salsa Cornmeal Coated Chicken
- 2 tablespoons cornmeal
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 1/2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breast meat
- 1 1/2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium tomato chopped
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 1 clove garlic pressed
- 1 jalapeno seeded and finely chopped (or just use half if you like it mild)
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. In a shallow bowl or on a plate, combine cornmeal, salt, pepper, garlic powder, chili powder and oregano; firmly press chicken into mixture to coat completely.
- Heat the butter and olive oil in a 9- x 13-inch pan in the oven until the butter has melted. Place chicken in pan and turn to coat; bake, uncovered, for 30 minutes then turn and cook for 20 to 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, prepare salsa: In a medium-sized serving dish, combine remaining ingredients (tomato through cilantro); serve over baked chicken.
SERVING SUGGESTION: Buttered corn on the cob and a big salad. VEGETARIAN: Use non-breaded faux chicken patties instead of chicken. KOSHER: Use oil instead of butter. GLUTEN-FREE: Use gluten-free cornmeal. NUTRITION: Per serving: 289 Calories; 9g Fat; 45g Protein; 6g Carbohydrate; 1g Dietary Fiber; 117mg Cholesterol; 158mg Sodium. Exchanges: 0 Grain(Starch); 6 Lean Meat; 1/2 Vegetable; 1 1/2 Fat. Points: 7
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!