Crock Cooker Beef Brisket
- 1 pound beef brisket trimmed
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Olive oil
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 1/2 cups vertically sliced onion
- 2 1/2 cups peeled and chopped parsnips
- 3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 2 bay leaves
- 16 ounces light beer or use low sodium beef broth
- Rub brisket with salt and pepper.
- Coat a large, heavy skillet with a little olive oil over medium-high heat; add brisket and cook for 10 minutes, browning on all sides; remove from pan.
- Add the water to the skillet and whisk up all of the browned bits from the bottom of the pan. Add onion and parsnips and sauté for 5 minutes or until tender.
- In a slow cooker, place onion/parsnip mixture, vinegar, bay leaves and beer (or broth); place brisket on top. Cover and cook on LOW for 8 hours. Discard bay leaves.
- Thinly slice brisket across the grain (diagonally); serve with sauce.
SERVING SUGGESTION: Mashed russet potatoes and steamed green beans VEGETARIAN: Instead of beef, use 30 ounces of pinto beans, drained and rinsed or homemade. Use vegetable broth instead of beef broth (if not using beer). KOSHER: Be sure beef brisket is a certified kosher. GLUTEN-FREE: Make sure vinegar and beer (or broth) are gluten-free. NUTRITION: Per Serving: 201 Calories; 6g Fat; 17g Protein; 16g Carbohydrate; 4g Dietary Fiber; 47mg Cholesterol; 383mg Sodium. Exchanges: 1/2 Grain(Starch); 2 1/2 Lean Meat; 1/2 Vegetable; 0 Fruit; 0 Fat. Points: 5
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!