Creamy Tomato Soup
- 1 1/2 cups low sodium vegetable broth divided
- 1 1/2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1 1/2 tablespoons low sodium soy sauce
- 1 1/2 cups chopped onion
- 7 cloves garlic pressed
- 84 ounces canned whole tomatoes drained
- Olive oil
- 1 cup half and half
- Freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 500 degrees.
- In a small bowl, combine 3/4 cup of broth, the brown sugar, vinegar and soy sauce. Place onion, garlic and tomatoes in a 9- x 13-inch METAL baking pan coated with a little olive oil (NEVER USE GLASSWARE FOR BAKING AT SUCH A HIGH TEMPERATURE!).
- Pour broth mixture on top and bake for 50 minutes or until vegetables are lightly browned.
- Transfer tomato mixture to a food processor or blender; add remaining broth and half and half; process until smooth.
- Strain mixture through a sieve into a bowl; discard solids and season with pepper to taste.
SERVING SUGGESTION: Grilled cheese sandwiches and a big spinach salad. VEGETARIAN: No changes necessary. KOSHER: No changes necessary. GLUTEN-FREE: Make sure broth, vinegar, soy sauce, and canned tomatoes are gluten-free. NUTRITION: Per Serving: 174 Calories; 5g Fat; 9g Protein; 27g Carbohydrate; 6g Dietary Fiber; 15mg Cholesterol; 886mg Sodium. Exchanges: 0 Grain(Starch); 1/2 Lean Meat; 4 Vegetable; 0 Fruit; 0 Non-Fat Milk; 1 Fat; 0 Other Carbohydrates. Points: 5
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!