Apple Halibut Kabobs
- 1/2 cup dry white wine or use unsweetened apple juice
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoons chopped onion
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 1/2 pounds halibut fillets cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 medium red onion cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 medium Golden Delicious apples cored and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 medium red bell peppers de-seeded, de-ribbed and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 8 metal OR bamboo skewers
- DO-AHEAD TIP: Marinate halibut and fruit and vegetables for 4 to 6 hours (see recipe). If using bamboo skewers, soak them in water for 30 minutes before use, to prevent burning.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the first 7 ingredients (wine/juice through black pepper); blend well then pour half of the mixture into a large zipper-topped plastic bag; add halibut, seal bag and turn to coat.
- Pour remaining marinade into another large zipper-topped plastic bag; add red onion, apple and bell pepper pieces, seal bag and turn to coat.
- Refrigerate both bags for 4 to 6 hours, turning occasionally.
- Preheat oven broiler. Drain fish, discarding marinade. Drain fruit and vegetables, reserving marinade for basting.
- Alternately thread fish, onion, apple and bell pepper onto skewers; broil 4 to 6 inches from heat source for 2 to 3 minutes per side or until fish flakes easily when tested with a fork and fruit and vegetables are tender.
- Baste frequently with reserved marinade.
LC SERVING SUGGESTION: Serve a big spinach salad on the side. SERVING SUGGESTION: Add wild rice pilaf. KOSHER: No changes necessary. GLUTEN FREE: Make sure wine (or juice) is gluten free. NUTRITION: per serving: 303 Calories; 8g Fat; 37g Protein; 16g Carbohydrate; 3g Dietary Fiber; 54mg Cholesterol; 569mg Sodium. Exchanges: 0 Grain(Starch); 5 Lean Meat; 1 1/2 Vegetable; 1/2 Fruit; 1/2 Fat. Points: 7
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!