Simple Shrimp Creole
- 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 3/4 cup chopped green bell pepper
- 3/4 cup chopped celery
- 2 cloves garlic pressed
- 4 1/2 tablespoons flour
- 42 ounces canned crushed tomatoes
- 3/4 cup low sodium chicken broth
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Cajun seasoning
- Sea salt to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon ground red pepper more or less, depending on your heat tolerance
- 3 bay leaves
- 1 1/2 pounds medium shrimp peeled and deveined
- 4 1/2 cups hot cooked brown rice
- DO-AHEAD TIP: Cook brown rice.
- Heat the oil in a large skillet with a tight-fitting lid over medium heat; add onion, bell pepper, celery and garlic and sauté until tender-crisp.
- Gradually stir in flour until smooth.
- Stir in next 6 ingredients (tomatoes through bay leaves). Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add shrimp and cook for 5 minutes or they turn pink. Remove and discard bay leaves.
- Serve over hot cooked rice.
SERVING SUGGESTION: Serve braised Swiss chard on the side. VEGETARIAN: Use tofu instead of shrimp and use vegetable broth instead of chicken broth. KOSHER: Use boneless skinless chicken breast meat cut to the approximate size of shrimp. GLUTEN-FREE: Make sure tomatoes, broth and Cajun seasoning are gluten-free. Use gluten-free flour. NUTRITION: Per Serving: 426 Calories; 7g Fat; 32g Protein; 59g Carbohydrate; 8g Dietary Fiber; 173mg Cholesterol; 604mg Sodium. Exchanges: 2 1/2 Grain(Starch); 3 1/2 Lean Meat; 3 1/2 Vegetable; 1/2 Fat; 0 Other Carbohydrates. Points: 10
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!