Manhattan Clam Chowder
- 4 slices turkey bacon chopped
- 1 small onion finely chopped
- 16 ounces canned clams with their juices
- 1 cup finely chopped turnip
- 1/3 cup chopped celery
- 1 cup low sodium chicken broth
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh parsley
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1 can whole tomatoes 14.5-oz.
- Cook chopped turkey bacon and onion in a large saucepan, stirring occasionally, until bacon is crisp and onion is tender.
- Stir in clams and their juice, turnip, celery and chicken broth. Bring to a boil then reduce heat, cover and simmer for 10 minutes or until turnip is tender.
- Add remaining ingredients, breaking up tomatoes with a spoon. Bring to a boil, stirring occasionally; serve.
LC SERVING SUGGESTION: Serve a big spinach salad on the side. SERVING SUGGESTION: Add some crusty bread and butter. KOSHER: Use boneless skinless chicken breast meat cut to the approximate size of clams. GLUTEN-FREE: Make sure bacon, clams, broth, and tomatoes are gluten-free. NUTRITION: per serving: 168 Calories; 4g Fat; 21g Protein; 12g Carbohydrate; 2g Dietary Fiber; 51mg Cholesterol; 461mg Sodium. Exchanges: 0 Grain(Starch); 2 1/2 Lean Meat; 1 1/2 Vegetable; 1/2 Fat. Points: 4
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!