Orange Beef and Peppers
- 1 large navel orange
- 1/2 cup dry sherry or use white grape juice
- 3 tablespoons low sodium soy sauce
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 3/4 pound beef flank steak trimmed of fat and thinly sliced against the grain (diagonally)
- 1/2 teaspoon olive oil divided
- 4 medium red bell peppers de-seeded, de-ribbed and thinly sliced
- 6 tablespoons water divided
- From the orange, grate 1 teaspoon of peel and squeeze 1/3 cup of juice.
- In a large bowl, whisk together orange peel and juice, sherry (or juice), soy sauce and cornstarch; add beef slices and toss to coat; set aside.
- Heat half of the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat; add bell peppers and 2 tablespoons of water; cook, stirring frequently, for 5 minutes or until peppers are tender-crisp; transfer to a medium bowl.
- In the same skillet, heat remaining oil over high heat. With a slotted spoon, transfer half of the beef to the skillet, reserving orange peel/juice mixture.
- Cook and stir beef for 1 minute then transfer to the bowl of bell peppers.
- Repeat with remaining beef. Add remaining water and reserved orange peel/juice mixture to the skillet; boil for 1 minute.
- Toss beef and peppers with orange sauce before serving.
LC SERVING SUGGESTION: Serve over Cauli-Rice (process cauliflower in a blender or food processor until it resembles grains of rice; steam “rice” till tender; drain; salt and pepper to taste and fluff with a fork). Add stir-fried mushrooms and snow peas on the side. SERVING SUGGESTION: Serve over brown rice instead of Cauli-Rice. KOSHER: Use kosher beef. GLUTEN-FREE: Make sure sherry (or juice) and soy sauce are gluten-free. Use arrowroot starch instead of cornstarch. NUTRITION: per serving: 248 Calories; 7g Fat; 20g Protein; 19g Carbohydrate; 4g Dietary Fiber; 43mg Cholesterol; 518mg Sodium. Exchanges: 0 Grain(Starch); 2 1/2 Lean Meat; 1 1/2 Vegetable; 1/2 Fruit; 0 Fat. Points: 5
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!