Ham and Butternut Squash Stew
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 3 cups cubed ham
- 1 large onion chopped
- 2 large stalks celery chopped
- 2 large parsnips chopped
- 2 cups cubed butternut squash
- 5 cups low sodium beef broth
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 2 teaspoons minced thyme
- In large pot over medium heat, heat the oil. To the pot add the ham and onion. Cook for 5 minutes, until brown. To the ham mixture, add the remaining 6 ingredients (celery through thyme) and stir. Cover pot and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to low and simmer for 25 minutes, until ham is cooked through and vegetables are tender. Serve warm.
SERVING SUGGESTION: A big tossed salad with Leanne’s basic vinaigrette (In a large bowl, toss together torn lettuce (not iceberg -no nutrition) and salad veggies of your choice. In a small bowl,whisk together 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar, 1 clove pressed garlic and a pinch of dried basil and oregano; drizzle dressing over salad). NUTRITION: 408 Calories; 15g Fat (31.4% calories from fat); 34g Protein; 38g Carbohydrate; 8gDietary Fiber; 58mg Cholesterol; 1416mg Sodium. Exchanges: 2 Grain (Starch); 4 Lean Meat; 1/2Vegetable; 1 1/2 Fat.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!