- 3 cups shredded part-skim Mozzarella cheese divided
- 1 1/2 cups low fat ricotta cheese
- 1 egg white
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese divided
- 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 medium onions chopped
- 1/2 tablespoon fennel seeds
- 3/4 pound 95% lean ground beef
- 28 ounces pasta sauce
- 1 cup low sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 cup white wine or use additional broth
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 9 Lasagna noodles no-boil type
- 1 cup basil leaves chopped
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a medium bowl, combine 1/2 cup Mozzarella, 1 1/2 cups Ricotta, egg white and 2 tablespoons Parmesan cheese. Heat the oil in a large saucepan with a tight-fitting lid over medium-high heat; add onions and fennel seeds; sauté for 3 minutes.
- Add ground beef and cook till browned; drain well and blot with paper towels to soak up any grease. Add pasta sauce, broth and wine. Bring to a boil then reduce heat, cover and simmer for 5 minutes; season with salt and pepper.
- Now assemble the Lasagna: Spread about 1 1/3 cups of sauce into the bottom of a 9- x 13-inch baking dish then place 3 noodles on the top.
- Evenly spread half of the Ricotta cheese mixture over the noodles then sprinkle with half of the basil. Add half of the remaining Mozzarella and half of the remaining Parmesan. Repeat that process, starting with sauce and ending with noodles and remaining sauce.
- Cover dish with aluminum foil wrap (tent it so it doesn't touch the contents of the baking dish); place it on a cookie sheet in the oven and bake for 1 hour. Allow Lasagna to stand for 15 minutes before digging in.
- If you want, you can top it with additional Mozzarella before serving (just let it stand with the cheese on it--it will melt).
SERVING SUGGESTION: Serve a big salad on the side. VEGETARIAN: Use TVP crumbles, or just skip the beef. Use vegetable broth instead of chicken broth. KOSHER: Use TVP crumbles, or just skip the beef. Use vegetable broth instead of chicken broth. GLUTEN-FREE: Make sure pasta sauce, broth and wine (if using) are gluten-free. Use gluten-free lasagna noodles. NUTRITION: Per serving: 716 Calories; 23g Fat; 40g Protein; 83g Carbohydrate; 6g Dietary Fiber; 67mg Cholesterol; 1007mg Sodium. Exchanges: 4 1/2 Grain(Starch); 4 Lean Meat; 3 Vegetable; 2 1/2 Fat. Points: 18
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!