White Bean and Sage Cassoulet
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 cup chopped carrots
- 1 cup chopped fennel bulb
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 6 cloves garlic pressed
- 30 ounces cannellini beans drained and rinsed or homemade
- 1/4 pound ham diced (optional)
- 1/4 cup low sodium vegetable broth
- 1 14.5-oz. can peeled tomato wedges
- 2 teaspoons dried sage
- 3/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 slices French bread diagonally cut 1-inch thick
- Aluminum foil wrap
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Heat the oil in a large non-stick skillet over medium-high heat; add carrot, fennel, onion, and garlic; sauté for 5 minutes. Transfer to an 11- x 7-inch baking dish. Stir in next 6 ingredients (beans through black pepper).
- Trim crusts from bread and cut bread into 1-inch cubes; lightly coat bread cubes with a little olive oil and arrange them in a single layer over the carrot mixture, pressing the cubes gently into the carrot mixture.
- Cover baking dish with aluminum foil wrap and bake for 25 minutes.
- Uncover and bake for 5 minutes or until croutons are golden brown.
SERVING SUGGESTION: Serve steamed asparagus on the side. VEGETARIAN: Omit the ham. KOSHER: Omit the ham. GLUTEN-FREE: Make sure beans, ham (if using), broth and tomatoes are gluten-free. Use gluten-free bread. NUTRITION: Per Serving: 321 Calories; 3g Fat; 19g Protein; 58g Carbohydrate; 14g Dietary Fiber; 0mg Cholesterol; 113mg Sodium. Exchanges: 3 Grain(Starch); 1 Lean Meat; 1 1/2 Vegetable; 1/2 Fat. Points: 8
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!