Red Pepper and Asparagus Steak Stir Fry
- 3 cups asparagus cut diagonally into 1 1/2-inch pieces
- 1/4 cup low sodium soy sauce
- 1 1/4 tablespoons minced ginger
- 3 cloves garlic pressed
- 2 green onions chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon olive oil divided
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/4 cup water
- 3/4 pound beef flank steak trimmed and sliced in half lengthwise (against the grain/diagonally), then cut into thin strips
- 2 medium red bell peppers de-seeded, de-ribbed and cut into thin strips
- Parboil asparagus for 2 minutes; drain, rinse with cold water, drain again then set aside.
- In a small bowl, combine soy sauce, ginger root, garlic, green onion, half of the olive oil and the chili powder; blend well and set aside. In another small bowl or a cup, combine cornstarch and water until smooth; set aside. Heat remaining oil in a wok or large skillet over high heat; add asparagus and sauté for 2 minutes or until lightly browned; remove from skillet or wok and set aside.
- In the same skillet or wok, stir-fry beef strips (in 2 batches) for 2 to 3 minutes or until browned on the outside but still pink inside.
- Return the first batch of beef strips to the pan and add the bell pepper; stir-fry for 1 to 2 minutes or until bell pepper is just beginning to wilt.
- Quickly stir cornstarch mixture and stir-fry sauce into the skillet or wok; cook until sauce thickens. Return the asparagus to the pan and toss to coat evenly; serve.
LC SERVING SUGGESTION: Serve over Cauli-Rice (process cauliflower in a blender or food processor until it resembles grains of rice; steam “rice” until tender; drain; salt and pepper to taste and fluff with a fork); add steamed broccoli spears on the side. SERVING SUGGESTION: Serve with brown rice instead of Cauli-Rice. KOSHER: Make sure beef is certified kosher. GLUTEN-FREE: Make sure soy sauce is gluten-free. Use arrowroot starch instead of cornstarch. NUTRITION: per serving: 206 Calories; 7g Fat; 21g Protein; 15g Carbohydrate; 4g Dietary Fiber; 43mg Cholesterol; 674mg Sodium. Exchanges: 1/2 Grain(Starch); 2 1/2 Lean Meat; 2 Vegetable; 0 Fat. Points: 5
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!