Crock Cooker Split Pea Soup with Sausage
- 3/4 pound smoked sausage sliced
- 1 1/2 pounds green split peas
- 15 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 2 1/4 cups chopped carrots
- 1 1/2 cups chopped shallots
- 1 1/2 cups chopped celery
- 3 cloves garlic pressed
- 3 bay leaves
- Freshly ground black pepper to taste
- In a large non-stick skillet over medium-high heat, lightly brown sausage slices (you are not cooking them all the way through).
- Drain grease from sausage and blot off any excess; transfer to a crock cooker. Add remaining ingredients, except black pepper.
- Cover and cook on LOW for 6 to 8 hours or on HIGH for 4 to 5 hours. Remove bay leaves and season with pepper before serving.
SERVING SUGGESTION: A relish tray of cherry tomatoes and broccoli and cauliflower florets; add some crusty bread and butter. VEGETARIAN: Use vegetable broth instead of chicken broth; use soy sausage or skip. KOSHER: Use kosher sausage and beef or vegetable broth. GLUTEN-FREE: Make sure sausage and broth are gluten-free. NUTRITION: Per Serving: 506 Calories; 12g Fat; 43g Protein; 58g Carbohydrate; 21g Dietary Fiber; 27mg Cholesterol; 1264mg Sodium. Exchanges: 3 1/2 Grain(Starch); 4 Lean Meat; 1 Vegetable; 2 Fat. Points: 12
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!