Beef and Noodle Casserole
- 12 ounces elbow macaroni
- olive oil
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 1 medium green bell pepper de-seeded, de-ribbed and chopped
- 2 cloves garlic pressed
- 1 pound 95% lean ground beef
- 1 14.5-oz. can diced tomatoes drained
- 6 ounces tomato sauce
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Cook macaroni according to package directions. Coat a large skillet with olive oil over medium-high heat. Add onion, garlic and bell pepper; sauté for 1 to 2 minutes.
- Add ground beef*; crumble and cook until no longer pink. Meanwhile, combine cooked macaroni, tomatoes, tomato sauce, salt and pepper in a 9- x 13-inch baking dish; top with ground beef mixture then stir gently to combine.
- Top with shredded cheese and bake for 15 minutes or until cheese has melted and casserole is heated through.
- *LEANNE’S NOTE: For more “zip”, you may wish to add a 1/2 teaspoon of dried thyme and a dash of crushed red pepper flakes.
SERVING SUGGESTION: A big spinach salad and a bowl of raw baby carrots. VEGETARIAN: Instead of beef, use TVP crumbles. KOSHER: Make sure ground beef is certified kosher, skip the cheese. GLUTEN-FREE: Make sure tomatoes and tomato sauce are gluten-free. Use gluten-free pasta. NUTRITION: Per serving: 513 Calories; 9g Fat; 20g Protein; 51g Carbohydrate; 3g Dietary Fiber; 40mg Cholesterol; 351mg Sodium. Exchanges: 2 1/2 Grain(Starch); 1/2 Lean Meat; 1 1/2 Vegetable; 1 Fat. Points: 9
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!