Italian Wedding Soup
- 1/2 pound lean ground turkey
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon thyme
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons almond flour or almond meal
- 1 tablespoon minced parsley
- 2 tablespoons ghee or use olive oil
- 2 medium stalks celery chopped
- 2 medium carrots chopped
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 2 cloves garlic pressed
- 5 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 3/4 cup dry white wine
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 cup torn spinach
- 2 teaspoons sea salt
- 2 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon ground white pepper
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- In a large bowl combine first 9 ingredients (ground turkey through parsley) for meatballs.
- Blend thoroughly with your very clean hands then shape into 1- to 2-inch thick meatballs.
- Place on a rimmed baking sheet and bake for about 20 minutes, depending on thickness, or until cooked through.
- Heat the ghee (or olive oil) in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add celery, carrots, onion, and garlic; sauté for 2 to 3 minutes or until onion starts to become transparent.
- Add remaining ingredients (broth through white pepper); stir for about 1 minute then reduce heat to a simmer.
- Add meatballs and let the soup simmer with the meatballs for 5 to 10 minutes; serve.
SERVING SUGGESTION: A big salad of mixed baby greens, sliced red onion and halved cherry tomatoes, tossed with Leanne’s Basic Vinaigrette. NUTRITION: per serving: 315 Calories; 13g Fat; 30g Protein; 15g Carbohydrate; 3g Dietary Fiber; 107mg Cholesterol; 2159mg Sodium. Exchanges: 0 Grain(Starch); 3 1/2 Lean Meat; 1 1/2 Vegetable; 0 Fruit; 1 1/2 Fat. Points: 7
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!