Spicy Portabella Steaks
- 2 teaspoons olive oil divided
- 2 cups chopped onion
- 1 14.5-oz. can diced tomatoes
- 1/2 cup low sodium chicken broth
- 2 jalapeno peppers de-seeded and diced
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 4 portabella mushroom caps
- Heat 1 teaspoon of olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat; add onion; cook and stir until lightly browned about 8 minutes.
- Stir in tomatoes, chicken broth, jalapenos, oregano, and salt; cook and stir until hot, about 5 minutes.
- Transfer mixture to a blender or food processor container; process until smooth, about 1 minute. Sprinkle lemon juice on both sides of mushroom caps.
- Heat remaining oil in the same skillet over medium-high heat; add mushroom caps, gill sides up; cook until tender (about 10 minutes), turning once.
- Cut portabella caps into thick slices; reheat sauce if necessary and serve with mushrooms.
LC SERVING SUGGESTION: Baked Hubbard squash and a big green salad. SERVING SUGGESTION: Add steamed new potatoes. KOSHER: No changes necessary. GLUTEN-FREE: Make sure tomatoes and broth are gluten-free. NUTRITION: per serving: 113 Calories; 3g Fat; 6g Protein; 18g Carbohydrate; 4g Dietary Fiber; 0mg Cholesterol; 199mg Sodium. Exchanges: 0 Grain(Starch); 0 Lean Meat; 3 1/2 Vegetable; 0 Fruit; 1/2 Fat. Points: 3
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!