Slow Cooker Tuscany Peasant-Style Chicken
- 1 small onion thinly sliced
- 1 medium red bell pepper de-seeded, de-ribbed and thinly sliced
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried rosemary crushed
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 6 ounces turkey Italian sausages casings removed
- 6 4-oz. boneless skinless chicken breast halves
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/3 cup dry white wine or use white grape juice with a splash of cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 1/2 tablespoons water
- sea salt to taste
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- In a slow cooker, combine first 5 ingredients (onion through oregano); cover with crumbled sausages.
- Rinse chicken and pat dry; arrange in a single layer over sausage; sprinkle with pepper. Pour in wine (or juice/vinegar).
- Cover and cook on LOW for 5 to 7 hours or until chicken is fork-tender. Transfer chicken to a warm, deep platter and cover to keep warm. In a small bowl, combine cornstarch and water; stir into slow cooker juices.
- Raise heat setting to HIGH then cover and cook for 10 minutes, stirring 2 to 3 times, until sauce has thickened; salt to taste.
- To serve, spoon sauce over chicken and sprinkle with chopped parsley.
SERVING SUGGESTION: Angel Hair pasta tossed with a little butter and grated Parmesan cheese; add a big salad on the side. VEGETARIAN: Add soy sausage and non-breaded faux chicken patties during the last hour of cooking time. KOSHER: No changes necessary. GLUTEN FREE: Make sure turkey sausage and wine (or juice/vinegar) are gluten free. Use arrowroot starch instead of cornstarch. NUTRITION: Per Serving: 208 Calories; 5g Fat; 31g Protein; 5g Carbohydrate; 1g Dietary Fiber; 89mg Cholesterol; 401mg Sodium. Exchanges: 0 Grain(Starch); 4 1/2 Lean Meat; 1/2 Vegetable; 1/2 Fat. Points: 5
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!