Texas Beef Stir-Fry
- 1 pound beef flank steak 3/4-inch thick, trimmed
- 1/4 teaspoon olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 14.5-oz. can low sodium beef broth
- 1 1/2 cups salsa
- 2 medium zucchini cut in half lengthwise then sliced 3/4-inch thick
- 2 medium red bell peppers de-seeded, de-ribbed and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1/2 tablespoon ground cumin
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch dissolved in 1/4 cup water
- low fat sour cream optional garnish
- chopped fresh cilantro optional garnish
- Cut flank steak in half lengthwise then diagonally into 1/2-inch thick strips.
- Heat the oil in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat until hot. Add beef strips (the half at a time); stir-fry for 2 minutes or until outside surface is no longer pink (do not overcook!). Remove from pan, season with salt and set aside.
- In the same pan, combine broth, salsa, zucchini, bell pepper, and cumin.
- Bring mixture to a boil then reduce heat to medium-low and cook for 10 minutes or until vegetables are tender-crisp.
- Add cornstarch mixture; cook and stir for 1 to 2 minutes or until sauce is thick and bubbly.
- Return beef to pan and heat through.
SERVING SUGGESTION: Serve over mashed russet potatoes. Add a big bowl of coleslaw on the side (use a ready-made mix and toss with mayo and a little rice vinegar). VEGETARIAN: Instead of beef, use 1 1/2 cups of tempeh strips. Use vegetable broth instead of beef broth. KOSHER: Make sure beef is certified kosher. Skip the sour cream. GLUTEN-FREE: Make sure broth and salsa are gluten-free. Use arrowroot starch instead of cornstarch. NUTRITION: Per serving: 187 Calories; 6g Fat; 20g Protein; 13g Carbohydrate; 3g Dietary Fiber; 38mg Cholesterol; 429mg Sodium. Exchanges: 1/2 Grain(Starch); 2 1/2 Lean Meat; 1 1/2 Vegetable; 0 Fat. Points: 5
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!