Garlicky Oriental Eggplant
- 1 1/2 tablespoons rice wine or use white grape juice with a splash of cider vinegar
- 1 1/2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 1 1/2 tablespoons low sodium soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon hoisin sauce
- 1/2 tablespoon sesame oil
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 pound eggplant (Japanese if available) cut into strips
- 1 pound green beans trimmed and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 3 cloves garlic pressed
- 3 green onions chopped
- In a small bowl, combine first 7 ingredients (rice wine [or juice/vinegar] through ground ginger) set aside.
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet with a tight-fitting lid over high heat; add eggplant strips and green beans.
- Cook and stir for 5 minutes or until they start to brown.
- Add the garlic and stir-fry for about 1 minute. Reduce skillet heat to medium, add reserved sauce mixture, stir, cover skillet and cook for 3 to 4 minutes or until vegetables soften.
- Add green onions and raise skillet heat to high; stir-fry for 1 minute.
LC SERVING SUGGESTION: Serve over Cauli-rice (process cauliflower in a blender or food processor until it resembles grains of rice; steam “rice” till tender; drain; salt and pepper to taste and fluff with a fork). Add steamed broccoli spears on the side. SERVING SUGGESTION: Serve over brown rice instead of Cauli-rice. KOSHER: No changes necessary. GLUTEN-FREE: Make sure rice wine (or juice/vinegar), rice vinegar, soy sauce and Hoisin sauce are gluten-free. NUTRITION: per serving: 113 Calories; 4g Fat; 4g Protein; 17g Carbohydrate; 6g Dietary Fiber; trace Cholesterol; 300mg Sodium. Exchanges: 0 Grain (Starch); 3 Vegetable; 1/2 Fat; 0 Other Carbohydrates. Points: 3
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!