- 1 1/2 pounds cheese tortellini fresh or frozen
- 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic pressed
- 3 tablespoons chopped black walnuts
- 6 cups diced plum (Roma) tomatoes
- 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste Cayenne pepper, to taste
- 1/3 cup grated Romano cheese
- Cook tortellini according to package directions; drain and set aside.
- Meanwhile, heat the oil in a large saucepan with a tight-fitting lid over medium heat; add garlic and black walnuts; stir-fry until garlic begins to brown and soften. Add tomatoes (with their juices), basil, oregano and parsley.
- Bring to a boil then reduce heat, cover and simmer for 5 to 7 minutes. Add cooked tortellini to the tomato sauce; season with salt, pepper and cayenne pepper.
- Sprinkle with cheese and serve.
SERVING SUGGESTION: A big salad and some garlic toast. VEGETARIAN: No changes necessary. KOSHER: No changes necessary. GLUTEN FREE: Use gluten free tortellini. NUTRITION: Per Serving: 431 Calories; 14g Fat; 21g Protein; 56g Carbohydrate; 5g Dietary Fiber; 84mg Cholesterol; 561mg Sodium. Exchanges: 3 Grain(Starch); 1 1/2 Lean Meat; 2 Vegetable; 2 Fat. Points: 11
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!