- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 small red onion diced
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 3/4 cup low fat plain yogurt
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon prepared horseradish
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons low sodium soy sauce
- 3/4 tablespoon hot sauce chipotle-flavored if available
- 2 pounds 95% lean ground beef
- 6 whole wheat burger buns split and lightly toasted
- Burger condiments your choice (mustard, mayo, ketchup pickle relish)
- DO-AHEAD TIP: Chill burger mixture for at least 1 hour (see recipe).
- Melt the butter in a skillet over medium heat; add red onion and garlic; cook and stir until onion softens and begins to turn brown, about 8 minutes; transfer to a large bowl.
- Add remaining ingredients except ground beef and burger buns; whisk until smooth. Add ground beef and blend well with yogurt mixture. Cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
- Preheat grill to MEDIUM-HIGH. Shape beef mixture into 6 patties, 1/2-inch thick and 5 inches in diameter; grill for 6 minutes per side or until no longer pink in the center.
- Serve on burger buns with your favorite condiments.
SERVING SUGGESTION: Buttered corn on the cob and a big bowl of apple-raisin slaw (use a ready- made coleslaw mix, add chopped apple and raisins and toss with low fat mayo and a little rice vinegar). VEGETARIAN: Omit beef and use 30 ounces mashed black beans (drained and rinsed or homemade) and use vegetarian Worcestershire sauce. KOSHER: Use soy yogurt and vegetarian Worcestershire sauce. Make sure ground beef is certified kosher. GLUTEN FREE: Make sure horseradish, Worcestershire sauce, soy sauce, hot sauce and burger condiments are gluten free. Use gluten free burger buns. NUTRITION: Per serving: 578 Calories; 8g Fat; 22g Protein; 31g Carbohydrate; 4g Dietary Fiber; 48mg Cholesterol; 853mg Sodium. Exchanges: 1 1/2 Grain(Starch); 0 Lean Meat; 1/2 Vegetable; 0 Non-Fat Milk; 1 Fat; 0 Other Carbohydrates. Points: 7
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!