Picante Beef Sandwiches
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3/4 cup chopped onion
- 4 cloves garlic pressed
- 18 ounces deli roast beef sliced and cut into strips
- 21.75 ounces diced tomatoes
- 6 ounces canned diced green chilis
- 3 tablespoons lime juice
- 1/2 tablespoon ground cumin
- 3 tablespoons chopped cilantro
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 6 whole wheat burger buns split and lightly toasted
- Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat; add onion and garlic and sauté for 3 minutes or until soft.
- Add roast beef and sauté for 3 to 5 minutes or until browned on all sides, stirring frequently. Add tomatoes, chilies, lime juice and cumin; stir to combine. Bring to a simmer and cook for 5 minutes, to heat through and reduce slightly.
- Remove from heat and stir in cilantro; salt and pepper to taste. Spoon beef and sauce evenly onto burger buns and serve.
SERVING SUGGESTION: A big bowl of broccoli slaw (use a ready-made mix and toss with low fat mayo and a little rice vinegar); add a bowl of raw baby carrots. VEGETARIAN: Use soy deli meat. KOSHER: Make sure deli beef is certified kosher. GLUTEN-FREE: Make sure deli beef, canned tomatoes, and canned chilies are gluten-free. Use gluten-free buns. NUTRITION: Per serving: 356 Calories; 8g Fat; 30g Protein; 39g Carbohydrate; 4g Dietary Fiber; 35mg Cholesterol; 1473mg Sodium. Exchanges: 2 Grain (Starch); 3 Lean Meat; 1 1/2 Vegetable; 0 Fruit; 1 Fat. Points: 9
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!