Carrot Cake Cupcakes
Healthier Carrot Cake Cupckaes (grain-free, gluten-free, paleo and dairy-free options)
For the Carrot Muffins
- 1 1/4 cups blanched almond flour
- 2 Tbsp coconut flour
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ground ginger
- 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
- 2 large eggs room temperature
- 1/3 cup refined coconut oil melted
- 1/3 cup honey
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 1/2 cup grated carrots
cream "cheese" frosting
- 1 14-oz. can coconut milk chilled overnight
- 1/4 cup coconut oil melted
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- pinch salt
- 3 tbsp maple syrup
- 1) Preheat the oven to 350°F (175°C). Line a muffin tin with 8 muffin liners.
- 2) In a medium bowl, mix together the dry ingredients (almond flour through nutmeg). Set this aside.
- 3)In a large bowl, mix together the eggs, oil, honey, and vanilla.
- 4) Add the dry mix to the wet mix just until combined and then gently fold in the grated carrots.
- 5) Divide the batter evenly among the liners and bake for 17-20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.
- 6) Let the muffins cool for 5 minutes in the pan and then remove to a wire rack to cool completely. Do not frost until completely cool!
- 1) Remove the can of coconut milk from the refrigerator and without shaking it or turning it upside down, open it and scoop out the solidified, waxy layer of coconut cream at the top into a medium mixing bowl. Do not use any bits that are slightly watery! I got 200 grams of coconut cream from my can. Use the remaining coconut water in a smoothie.
- 2) Use an electric hand mixer or a stand mixer (fitted with the whisk attachment) to beat the cream on medium until light, fluffy and soft peaks form.
- 3) Add the yogurt, coconut oil, vanilla, salt, and 3 tablespoons of maple syrup. Beat for about 10 seconds and add more maple syrup, if desired. The frosting will be quite thin now but firms up somewhat after chilling.
- 4) Chill for about 4 hours. The frosting will still be rather soft but after frosting your cake or cupcakes, a little of the moisture will be sucked up and will appear as it does in the pictures. Refrigerate anything frosted with this frosting.
- 5) Refrigerate any leftovers in an airtight container for up to 3 days.
- Place the unshaken can of coconut milk in the refrigerator overnight or for at least 6 hours to allow the cream to separate from the water. If you've never made whipped coconut cream before, I highly recommend reading this post on coconut whipped cream from Gimme Some Oven.
- Piping isn't possible with this recipe as it's too soft.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!