Vegetarian Sloppy Joes
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 1 medium green bell pepper de-seeded, de-ribbed and chopped
- 3 cups cooked brown rice
- 2 15-oz. cans Mexican-style pinto beans drained and rinsed
- 3/4 cup hickory smoke barbecue sauce
- 6 whole-grain burger buns split and lightly toasted
- DO-AHEAD TIP: Cook rice.
- Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add onion and bell pepper; cook for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add cooked rice, beans, and barbecue sauce; simmer for 10 to 15 minutes or until heated through.
- Serve on burger buns.
SERVING SUGGESTION: A big bowl of coleslaw (use a ready-made mix and toss with low-fat mayo and a little rice vinegar) and sliced cucumber and tomatoes. VEGETARIAN: No changes necessary. KOSHER: No changes necessary. GLUTEN-FREE: Make sure beans and barbecue sauce are gluten-free. Use gluten-free burger buns. NUTRITION: Per Serving: 338 Calories; 6g Fat; 12g Protein; 66g Carbohydrate; 11g Dietary Fiber; 0mg Cholesterol; 1123mg Sodium. Exchanges: 4 Grain (Starch); 1/2 Lean Meat; 1/2 Vegetable; 1/2 Fat; 1/2 Other Carbohydrates. Points: 9
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!