Cheddar Burgers on Lettuce
- 1 7-oz. can chipotle chili peppers
- 1 pound 95% lean ground beef
- 2 teaspoons Steak seasoning
- 4 1-oz. slices cheddar cheese
- 8 large leaves romaine lettuce
- Your favorite burger toppings: tomatoes red onion, mustard, mayonnaise, ketchup (just watch carb counts; this recipe leaves a lot of wiggle room).
- DO-AHEAD TIP: Prepare beef patties and chill for at least 30 minutes (see recipe)
- Process chipotle peppers in a blender until smooth.
- Reserve 4 teaspoons of the puree for this recipe and freeze the remainder in an airtight container for another use, if desired. Place ground beef in a large bowl.
- With your very clean hands, blend together reserved puree, ground beef, and steak seasoning; divide mixture evenly into 8 patties.
- Place 1 cheese slice on each of 4 patties and top with remaining 4 patties, pressing the edges together to seal; cover and chill for at least 30 minutes.
- Preheat outdoor or indoor grill or oven broiler. Grill/broil burgers for 7 to 8 minutes per side or until beef is no longer pink.
- Serve burgers on lettuce leaves with desired toppings.
LC SERVING SUGGESTION: Grilled or steamed asparagus and sliced English cucumber drizzled with olive oil and lemon juice. SERVING SUGGESTION: Add a bowl of raw baby carrots. KOSHER: Use kosher ground beef. Use soy cheese or skip. Make sure mayo is dairy-free if using. GLUTEN-FREE: Make sure canned chipotle peppers and steak seasoning are gluten-free. (And watch your burger toppings.) NUTRITION: per serving: 357 Calories; 5g Fat; 19g Protein; 6g Carbohydrate; 1g Dietary Fiber; 37mg Cholesterol; 211mg Sodium. Exchanges: 1 Lean Meat; 1 Vegetable. Points: 4
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!