Vegetable Steak Sandwiches
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1 large loaf Italian bread sliced in half lengthwise
- 8 ounces mushrooms sliced
- 1 large red bell pepper de-seeded, de-ribbed and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 large red onion cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 1/2 pounds beef flank steak trimmed
- 3/4 cup shredded part-skim Mozzarella cheese divided
- teriyaki sauce to taste
- Preheat grill. In a large bowl, combine olive oil, Italian seasoning, salt, and pepper. Lightly brush the insides of each bread half with this mixture (go easy—you don’t have much oil!); set aside.
- To the remaining oil mixture, add mushrooms, bell pepper and onion; toss to coat thoroughly. Grill steak for 5 to 8 minutes per side or until the desired level of doneness is achieved; transfer to a cutting board and allow it to rest for 10 minutes before thinly slicing against the grain (diagonally).
- Meanwhile, place vegetables in a grill basket or on a grill tray; grill for 5 to 6 minutes, turning occasionally, until tender-crisp; remove from grill and keep warm.
- Now place bread slices on the grill, oiled sides down; lightly brown for about 30 seconds; turn, then evenly sprinkle the bottom half with 1 cup of the Mozzarella, then with hot grilled vegetables, then steak slices, then remaining Mozzarella.
- Cover with the top half then slice into sandwiches. Each person can add a little teriyaki sauce to their taste.
SERVING SUGGESTION: Serve with a huge salad and a bowl of raw baby carrots. VEGETARIAN: Skip the steak and double your veggies. KOSHER: Make sure steak is certified kosher and skip the Mozzarella. GLUTEN FREE: Make sure Italian seasoning and teriyaki sauce are gluten free. Use gluten free bread. NUTRITION: Per serving: 594 Calories; 20g Fat; 38g Protein; 64g Carbohydrate; 5g Dietary Fiber; 64mg Cholesterol; 857mg Sodium. Exchanges: 3 1/2 Grain (Starch); 4 Lean Meat; 1 1/2 Vegetable; 2 Fat. Points: 15
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!