Barbecue Beef Sandwiches
- 1 3/4 pounds beef chuck roast trimmed and cubed
- 1 1/4 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 clove garlic pressed
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 1/4 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1/8 teaspoon liquid smoke optional
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 1 tablespoon grainy mustard
- 6 whole wheat burger buns OR French rolls, split and lightly toasted
- Place cubed beef in a slow cooker. In a small bowl, combine remaining ingredients (except burger buns); pour over beef. Cover and cook on LOW for 8 to 9 hours. Shred beef with two forks; mix well with sauce; spoon meat and juices on warm open-face burger buns or rolls. LEANNE’S NOTE: This may be cooked a day ahead and refrigerated overnight. Just skim off the fat and reheat on the stovetop.
SERVING SUGGESTION: A big bowl of broccoli slaw (use a ready-made mix and toss with mayo and a little rice vinegar); add a bowl of raw baby carrots. VEGETARIAN: Instead of beef, use 30 ounces pinto beans, drained and rinsed or homemade (just before serving, mash the beans slightly with some sauce and proceed with recipe directions). Use vegetarian Worcestershire sauce. KOSHER: Make sure beef is certified kosher and use vegetarian Worcestershire sauce. GLUTEN FREE: Make sure Worcestershire sauce, vinegar, liquid smoke (if using), ketchup, and mustard are gluten-free. Use gluten-free buns or rolls. NUTRITION: Per Serving: 371 Calories; 12g Fat; 35g Protein; 32g Carbohydrate; 3g Dietary Fiber; 113mg Cholesterol; 580mg Sodium. Exchanges: 1 1/2 Grain(Starch); 4 1/2 Lean Meat; 0 Vegetable; 1/2 Fat; 1/2 Other Carbohydrates. Points: 10
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!