Summer Pasta with Tomatoes and Basil
- 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 pounds tomatoes cored, and diced
- 16 large basil leaves torn into strips, divided
- 2 cloves garlic pressed
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 10 ounces frozen green peas
- 3/4 pound uncooked pasta shells
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat.
- Add diced tomato, half of the basil, the garlic and salt and pepper. Cook until thickened, stirring often, about 20 minutes. Add frozen peas then reduce heat to low.
- Meanwhile, cook pasta according to package directions; drain and place in a large bowl; toss with butter, remaining basil and the hot tomato mixture.
- Sprinkle with freshly grated Parmesan cheese.
SERVING SUGGESTION: A big salad of mixed baby greens, sliced red onion, cucumber and avocado, tossed with red wine vinaigrette. Add some garlic toast. VEGETARIAN: No changes necessary. KOSHER: No changes necessary. GLUTEN FREE: Use gluten free pasta. NUTRITION per serving: 355 Calories; 10g Fat; 12g Protein; 55g Carbohydrate; 5g Dietary Fiber; 13mg Cholesterol; 162mg Sodium. Exchanges: 3 1/2 Grain(Starch); 0 Lean Meat; 1 Vegetable; 1 1/2 Fat. Points: 9
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!