Easy Beef and Bean Salsa Burritos
- 1/4 pound 95% lean ground beef
- 1/2 cup oatmeal
- 15 ounces black beans drained and rinsed or homemade
- 3/4 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1 10-oz. package frozen chopped spinach thawed and squeezed dry
- 1 cup chunky salsa
- 1/2 cup shredded Colby cheese
- 6 8-inch whole wheat flour tortillas warmed
- 1 cup chopped cilantro
- In a large non-stick skillet, brown ground beef over medium heat for 8 to 10 minutes or until no longer pink, stirring occasionally.
- Remove from heat and pour off drippings; blot well with paper towels.
- While still hot, add the oatmeal; blend well and cover for few minutes. Add drained beans blend well; season mixture with chili powder, cumin, salt and pepper.
- Stir in spinach and salsa and heat through. Remove from heat; stir in cheese and cilantro.
- To serve, spoon beef/bean mixture down the center of each tortilla then fold the bottom edges up over the filling; fold sides to the center, overlapping the edges.
SERVING SUGGESTION: Buttered corn on the cob and a relish tray of carrot and celery sticks, green onions, cherry tomatoes and whole black olives. VEGETARIAN: Use TVP crumbles instead of ground beef. KOSHER: Use kosher ground beef and skip the cheese. GLUTEN FREE: Make sure oatmeal, salsa and beans are gluten free. Use gluten free tortillas. NUTRITION per serving: 517 Calories; 11g Fat; 28g Protein; 80g Carbohydrate; 16g Dietary Fiber; 22mg Cholesterol; 717mg Sodium. Exchanges: 3 Grain(Starch); 1 1/2 Lean Meat; 1 Vegetable; 1 Fat. Points: 13
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!