Crock Cooker Mixed Beans and Turkey Ham
- 1 cup dry beans sorted and rinsed, your choice
- 3/4 cup diced carrots
- 3/4 cup diced celery
- 3/4 cup chopped onion
- 1 1/2 cups chopped turkey ham
- 2 14.5-oz. cans low sodium chicken broth
- 1 1/2 tablespoons dried parsley
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste (after beans are cooked!)*
- Place beans in a crock cooker; add water to cover, with an additional 2 inches over the top.
- Cover and cook on HIGH for 4 hours or until beans are tender.
- Add remaining ingredients and cook for 2 to 3 hours or until done, adding more water as needed.
- *LEANNE’S NOTE: Adding salt to beans during the cooking process prevents the beans from becoming tender.
SERVING SUGGESTION: A big salad and some warm, buttered corn muffins. VEGETARIAN: Skip the ham and use vegetable broth. KOSHER: No changes necessary. GLUTEN FREE: Make sure ham and broth are gluten free NUTRITION per serving: 237 Calories; 4g Fat; 26g Protein; 26g Carbohydrate; 10g Dietary Fiber; 33mg Cholesterol; 1033mg Sodium. Exchanges: 1 1/2 Grain(Starch); 3 Lean Meat; 1/2 Vegetable; 0 Fat. Points: 5
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!