Nutty Chicken Chow Mein
- 2 1/2 cups julienned carrots
- 2 cups trimmed snow peas
- 6 ounces chow mein noodles
- 1 teaspoon dark sesame oil divided
- 1 1/2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breast cut crosswise into strips*
- 6 tablespoons low sodium soy sauce divided
- 1 1/2 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes more or less, to taste
- 2 cups sliced mushrooms
- 1 tablespoon grated fresh ginger
- 1 cup sliced green onions sliced into 1-inch pieces
- 1 1/2 tablespoons coarsely chopped dry-roasted peanuts
- DO-AHEAD TIP: Cook rice.
- In a large saucepan, cook carrots, snow peas and noodles in boiling water for 3 minutes; drain and set aside.
- Heat half of the sesame oil in a large non-stick skillet over medium-high heat; add chicken strips and 2 tablespoons of soy sauce; stir-fry for 3 minutes.
- Remove chicken from pan and keep warm. In a small bowl, combine remaining soy sauce, broth, sugar, and crushed red pepper flakes until the sugar has dissolved; set aside.
- Heat remaining sesame oil in the skillet over medium-high heat; add mushrooms and gingerroot; stir-fry for 3 minutes. Add soy sauce mixture and cook for 1 minute.
- Add carrots, snow peas, noodles, and chicken strips; toss to combine and heat through.
- Sprinkle with green onions and peanuts and enjoy.
*LEANNE’S NOTE: Partially frozen chicken is easier to cut. NUTRITION per serving: 365 Calories; 12g Fat; 35g Protein; 29g Carbohydrate; 4g Dietary Fiber; 66mg Cholesterol; 951mg Sodium. Exchanges: 1 Grain(Starch); 4 Lean Meat; 2 Vegetable; 2 Fat; 0 Other Carbohydrates. Points: 9 SERVING SUGGESTION: Serve steamed broccoli spears on the side. VEGETARIAN: Use non-breaded faux chicken patties and use vegetable broth instead of chicken broth. KOSHER: No changes necessary. GLUTEN FREE: Make sure soy sauce and broth are gluten-free. Use gluten-free noodles.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!