Braised Fish with Roma Tomatoes
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried oregano
- freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 6 6-oz. firm fleshed white fish fillets
- 6 plum tomatoes each cut into 1/2-inch slices, Roma
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 2 cloves garlic pressed
- 6 cups cooked brown rice
- parsley chopped for garnish
- In a cup or small bowl, combine oregano, pepper and cayenne pepper; sprinkle mixture on both sides of fish.
- Lightly pepper each tomato slice on one side.
- Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat; add fish and tomato slices, next to each other in the skillet.
- Cook until fish is lightly browned, about 4 minutes. Turn fish and tomatoes.
- Add water and garlic. Simmer until fish flakes easily when tested with a fork, about 4 more minutes.
- Serve fish and tomatoes over rice. Pour remaining broth over all.
- Garnish with chopped parsley.
NUTRITION per serving: 400 Calories; 5g Fat; 36g Protein; 52g Carbohydrate; 5g Dietary Fiber; 73mg Cholesterol; 107mg Sodium. Exchanges: 3 Grain (Starch); 4 Lean Meat; 1 Vegetable; 1/2 Fat. Points: 10 SERVING SUGGESTION: Serve steamed asparagus and steamed baby carrots on the side. VEGETARIAN: Use non-breaded faux meat patties such as Quorn Naked Cutlets instead of fish. KOSHER: No changes necessary. GLUTEN FREE: No changes necessary.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!