Jamaican Jerked Steak
- 1 1/2 tablespoons garlic powder
- 1 1/2 tablespoons onion powder
- 1 tablespoon sea salt
- 1 tablespoon dried thyme
- 1 tablespoon ground ginger
- 1 tablespoon ground allspice
- 1/2 tablespoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 3/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 6 6-oz. flank steaks trimmed
- 3 cups cooked brown rice
- Preheat outdoor or indoor grill or oven broiler.
- In a small bowl, combine spices and brown sugar; blend well then rub the mixture into both sides of steaks.
- Cook rice according to package directions.
- Meanwhile, grill steaks over medium heat until the desired level of doneness is achieved.
- If broiling, place meat about 5 inches from the heat source and cook for 8 minutes per side or until the desired level of doneness is achieved. Serve on a bed of rice.
NUTRITION per serving: 648 Calories; 16g Fat; 43g Protein; 82g Carbohydrate; 3g Dietary Fiber; 85mg Cholesterol; 1073mg Sodium. Exchanges: 5 Grain (Starch); 5 Lean Meat; 1/2 Fat; 1/2 Other Carbohydrates. Points: 17 SERVING SUGGESTION: Add braised kale on the side. VEGETARIAN: Instead of beef, grill eggplant, zucchini, onion, yellow squash and/or anything else that meets your fancy, with the same seasonings as above. Serve on the bed of brown rice. KOSHER: Make sure beef is certified kosher. GLUTEN FREE: No changes necessary.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!